TREASURER & Web Administrator, Member # 019
Staff member
Paid Member
Manchester
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Proefrock
1968 - NO CGI, No computer enhancements. You feel like you're in the passenger seat:

[youtube]no7XR7s8Z7o[/youtube]

1968 - NO CGI, No computer enhancements. You feel like you're in the passenger seat:

[youtube]no7XR7s8Z7o[/youtube]

Agree 100%....no better chase scene since.

When I was stationed in Alameda and Hunters Point in 1970, I drove a 66 Corvair Corsa 140 and tried to follow the original chase route...but it was broken up into disconnected segments...with no single continuous route.

However, on Sunday's we would run Pacific Coast Highway where the last portions of the chase scene were filmed.
Lots of Porsche's...Vettes...Mustangs and few exotics would show up until the CHP broke up the fun.

The scene where the motorcycle rider lays down the Triumph....that rider was Bud Ekins...the same stunt rider that did the infamous fence jump in the Great Escape and was Steve McQueen's stunt double. Bud was a long time friend of McQueen but he also had a St. Louis connection as he was also very good friends with Dave Mungenast. They rode together in a number of competitions before Bud became a professional stunt rider. After a successful career in international competitions...Dave also became a Hollywood stunt rider in his own right... in movies such as Cannonball Run and Hooper.

Interesting info Kerry! I knew Dave Mungenast had worked as a stunt rider but didn't know he was in Cannonball Run and Hooper.

I bought this DVD several years ago, specifically for the chase scene. Story-line was ok, but I'm still a huge Steve McQueen fan.

here's the second half of the chase scene:

Part 2 has a "toasty" ending..Steve McQueen was cool dude...big C took him out sadly......now for the rest of the news....
.....UPDATE FROM FRANJO: was hoping to pick up car today...just notified my rear wheel has a crack in it and can not be repaired (glad I was having all wheels polished and checked-may not have learned this...wheel man says it is slight, but would NOT RECOMMEND putting this wheel on the car and can not be repaired) so that news is a bummer, now on the hunt for a New Wheel....Franjo making calls to see what they can come up with.....be careful folks..."pot holes" can be expensive! No Zoom Zoom for me this beautiful weekend! SOB!

Interesting info Kerry! I knew Dave Mungenast had worked as a stunt rider but didn't know he was in Cannonball Run and Hooper.

Mike...these are Dave's movie credits:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0612801/

...and a nice tribute to him when he was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame:

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?racerid=239

Dave came down to our farm several times before he died in 2006. He would compete in the two-day MTRA National we hosted jointly every June.
He was a very amazing friend who had life experiences that could have been made into a movie.

In addition to his racing background, his movie stunt rider background, owner of the first Honda motorcycle dealership in St, Louis, and successful car dealership owner...many are not aware that he was also a decorated combat Green Beret in Vietnam.
But he rarely spoke of his Vietnam service, except to other Vietnam Vets.
There was a book written about his units Vietnam actions called "Code Name: Copperhead".

https://www.amazon.com/Code-Name-Copperhead-Legendary-Exploits/dp/0671529315

Dave could handle pain as well as anyone I have ever met.

On one particular MTRA event, he crashed and broke his ankle near Suttons Bluff on Saturday morning. Due to the remote rough terrain, he had to walk out with assistance, to a waiting ambulance almost a mile away. He was taken to the hospital where his ankle was set and given a Rx for pain...
The FOLLOWING MORNING...with a cast on his ankle and lower leg.....he was back on his motorcycle and racing all day Sunday.

Dave was a fierce competitor.
Well known international motorcycle racer Malcolm Smith once commented to Dave that he never saw a racer crash more...yet still finish.
One of the mentally and physically toughest guys I have ever known.

But...ultimately he succumbed to brain cancer... and was confined to a wheelchair... in pain that even he could not endure.
An undeserved, sad ending to an amazing man, father, competitor, businessman, warrior, and friend.

I bought this DVD several years ago, specifically for the chase scene. Story-line was ok, but I'm still a huge Steve McQueen fan.

One interesting note:

The driver of the Dodge Charger was Bill Hickman, a well-known stunt driver who had learned his driving skills as an early dirt track and NASCAR driver.
What is not well known is that he was a personal friend and driving mentor to James Dean. He had been instructing Dean at local tracks and they were on their way to an event when Dean crashed his Porsche 550 and was killed. Bill had trailered Dean's car earlier in the day and was towing the trailer behind the Porsche prior to the crash. He was one of the first persons to reach Dean after the accident. James Dean literally died in Bill Hickman's arms in the ambulance.

Kerry, appreciate the additional info. My Father-in Law worked as a mechanic with Dave Mungenast in his early years and also had a huge amount of respect for him. Still planning to set up a GCC Saturday tour if his museum sometime? I'm sure you've been there but feel the group would enjoy it. Mike

Kerry, appreciate the additional info. My Father-in Law worked as a mechanic with Dave Mungenast in his early years and also had a huge amount of respect for him. Still planning to set up a GCC Saturday tour if his museum sometime? I'm sure you've been there but feel the group would enjoy it. Mike

Yes...it is very impressive.
What is your father in law's name?

Art Nagle. There is a picture of Art and Dave Mungenast together at the museum. Art was very proud of that when he saw it.

Kerry: very interesting indeed regarding Dave....his demise...terrible at best!....I had a very dear friend in Maryland (Billy Morrisette) had it all great HVAC business-huge deal....actually built a Cobra and painted it all done in his garage at home (Mt. Airy, Md)....I think 1985-86? Similar story of many successes...and taken out w/ Brain cancer....terrible experience....thanks for the 411 on Dave M.

One interesting note:

The driver of the Dodge Charger was Bill Hickman, a well-known stunt driver who had learned his driving skills as an early dirt track and NASCAR driver.
What is not well known is that he was a personal friend and driving mentor to James Dean. He had been instructing Dean at local tracks and they were on their way to an event when Dean crashed his Porsche 550 and was killed. Bill had trailered Dean's car earlier in the day and was towing the trailer behind the Porsche prior to the crash. He was one of the first persons to reach Dean after the accident. James Dean literally died in Bill Hickman's arms in the ambulance.

I just ran across a photo of James Dean and Bill Hickman just an hour before Dean was killed.
You can see the Ford Station wagon with the trailer that Bill was driving after they had unloaded Dean's Porsche.
Bill is the man leaning over and speaking with someone in the Cadillac.
The person who took the photo was Rolf Wutherich, Dean's friend and personal mechanic who was riding with Dean when he crashed. James Dean.jpg

Last edited:
Back